Preparation Time: 15 minutes | Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves: 12 slices
Dates – 200 gms
Mixed nuts – 1/4 cup
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Poppy seeds – 2 tbsp
- Remove the seeds of the dates and chop it roughly. Chop the nuts finely into small pieces and set aside. I used badam and cashewnuts. You can add any nuts you prefer.
- Dry roast the poppy seeds for 2-3 minutes in medium flame. Keep it aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of ghee in a kadai and roast the chopped nuts until it turns golden brown and set it aside.
- Grind the chopped dates in a mixer and make it into a paste. Bring the grounded dates paste to a plate.Now add a tablespoon of ghee in a kadai and roast the grounded dates in a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Saute until the dates become pulpy. At first it will be hard to mix and it turns soft after it gets heated up. Once the dates mashes up into a huge piece add the roasted nuts and mix until it incorporates well. It takes about 2-3 minutes to get mashed well with the dates and now switch off the stove.
- When the mixture turns warm, knead it to a cylindrical shape as shown in the picture. Roll it tightly and coat it with roasted poppy seeds on all the sides.
- Now cover the cylindrical dates in a thermal foil sheet and refrigerate for an hour. After an hour, remove the foil sheet and dice it into slices using sharp knife. Serve it once it comes to room temperature. Khajoor Katri is ready. Enjoy!