Recipe Cuisine : Indian | Recipe Class : Snacks
Cooking time : 30 mins | Produce : 30-35 thattais
Rice flour – 2 cups
Urad dal flour – 2 tbslp
Roasted gram flour – 2 tblsp
Hing – 1/4 tsp
Channa dal and urad dal – 1 tblsp each
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – handful
Salt and water – as needed
Oil – 4tblsp + for deep frying
- Soak the Channa dal and urad dal 1tablespoon of each for one hour. To make urad dal flour, dry roast 2 tablespoon of urad dal in a pan until golden brown. Once the heat cool down grind it into a coarse powder.
- Now mix the rice flour with roasted gram flour, urad dhal flour, red chilli powder, Hing, curry leaves, salt, and soaked channa and urad dal. Add 4 tablespoon of oil and add water little by little and make a smooth dough (shown in the picture)
- Make equal sized small balls and keep covered. Grease any 2 cover (I used zip lock covers) with some drops of oil. Keep the ball in between two covers and press it from the top cover using a flat bottomed bowl. This can give you a better shape and makes job easier.
- Carefully remove the flattened dough from the cover and place above in any plastic covers as shown in the image below. This could make your job smarter.
- Prick the top with fork so that the thattai get cooked everywhere evenly. Now drop it in the hot oil and fry for 30second. Bring the heat to sim mode and flip off after the bubbles completely ceases. Cook for 1 minute after bubbles stops.
- Drain the oil and cool it down completely. Store it in air tight container and enjoy!
- You can also add peanut and grated coconut to enhance the taste.
- Butter/Ghee can be replaced in the place of oil